On February 11, 2022, the process of creating the Student’s Association of Porto Santo – B+S School Professor Dr. Francisco de Freitas Branco became official, through the publication of the statutes in the Official Journal of the Autonomous Region of Madeira (JORAM).
Between April 2021 and February 2022, AIDGLOBAL trained young leaders to create the Student’s Association, promoting several educational actions, including: “Summer School: Youth, Associativism and Human Rights” and “Fall School: Youth Associativism”.
These trainings resulted from the great desire expressed by the young people to form a student association, with the role of the founders, standing out: Catarina Pereira (who headed the official registration), Mariana Fonseca and Nicole Freitas. Since there was no association at the school, it was necessary to start from scratch. Several steps have been taken, namely: requesting authorization from the School Board to set up the Association, choosing the name, defining the Statutes, and registering the Association in the National Registry of Legal Entities.
Afterwards, it was necessary to collect signatures for the constitution of the Association, organize the Students’ General Assembly that approved the Association, and invite students and a teacher to be part of the Installation Committee. The students Joana Branco, Bruna Nunes, and Amélia Vasconcelos (Student Assembly leaders) and Alberto Villanueva, Valentino Tkachuk, and Alexandra Machado (Installing Committee) were involved in this phase.
The Student’s Association is one of the first platforms of citizenship for many young people. The commitment and persistence of the students was reflected in the work done, in which formal documents were prepared, including the statutes.
The objectives are based on the following points:
- Represent the students of B+S School Professor Dr. Francisco de Freitas Branco, Porto Santo and stand for their interests;
- Promote the civic, physical, cultural and scientific training of its members and to contribute to the formation of their social conscience;
- Establish a connection between the school and its members to local and social community;
- Defend and promote the fundamental values of the human being;
- Contribute to the participation of its members in the debate on educational problems;
- Promote projects that make the school environment more dynamic, contributing to its improvement;
- Cooperate with all student organizations, national or foreign, whose principles are not contrary to those defined here;
- Raise awareness on nature preservation and animal rights.
The values established by the students for the Association’s actions were: kindness, solidarity, empathy, peace, justice, and equality.
In the campaign phase, two lists ran for the Association’s board, Z and A, with the majority of students voting for A.
On the day of the inauguration of the winning list, on March 14, 2022, AIDGLOBAL presented the process for the creation of the Association (learn more about the presentation, here).
AIDGLOBAL thanks the Regional Directorate of Youth for all the support provided throughout the process. The creation of the Association was only possible thanks to the support of the School Government and several teachers, namely: Francisco Abreu (Installation Committee), Armando Neves (sound technician), Filipa Abreu and Artur Pereira (responsibles for school social media).
The initiative is promoted by AIDGLOBAL, under the Action Plan “Da Escola para o Mundo – Agir, Incluir, Transformar” (From School to the World – Act, Include, Transform) (Active Citizens Fund, EEA Grants), in partnership with the Escola Básica e Secundária Professor Dr. Francisco Freitas Branco (School B+S Prof. Dr. Francisco de Freitas Branco, Porto Santo).