The project aims to contribute to the fight against Poverty and Domestic Violence in the Autonomous Region of Madeira (R.A.M.). In addition, it is intended to strengthen the capacity of AIDGLOBAL on an organizational level.
Location of the Action
Autonomous Region of Madeira
Youth, Policy Makers, UMa Students and Communication Professionals
Area of Action
Gender and Poverty
The project has a duration of 20 months, running from 1st March 2022 to 31st October 2023.
- To raise awareness and mobilize citizens, among them students and politicians, in the Autonomous Region of Madeira, around the themes of Domestic Violence and Poverty, based on research, communication, structured dialogue and policy monitoring.
The Autonomous Region of Madeira has an incidence rate of reports of domestic violence to the Security Forces higher than the national average, according to the Annual Report on Monitoring Domestic Violence (2020) and has the highest rate of risk of poverty and social exclusion in the country, according to the Survey on Living Conditions and Income 2020. Gender and Poverty are strongly associated themes, as there is more female poverty in the world (Oxfam, 2017). This inequality prevents women from having their own voice, undervalues their work and puts them at a disadvantage compared to men, both in the domestic environment and on a national and global scale (Oxfam, 2017). This project is focused on the themes of Gender and Poverty, meeting two of the main problems in the Autonomous Region of Madeira, in a response to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) 1 and 5.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- Study on Domestic Violence in R.A.M.;
- Study on Poverty in R.A.M.;
- Strategic/policy paper on Domestic Violence in R.A.M.;
- Strategic/policy paper on Poverty in R.A.M.;
- Meetings with political actors and stakeholders in order to present recommendations on the issues of Domestic Violence and Poverty in R.A.M.;
- Workshop “Communicating for Human Rights”;
- Awareness campaign about Domestic Violence in R.A.M.;
- Awareness campaign about Poverty in R.A.M.;
- Disseminate public and private policies, around Gender and Poverty, in a social network;
- Carry out 2 Non Formal Education Initiatives on “Associativism and Human Rights”, one in Funchal and another in Porto Santo;
- Follow the process of creating a youth association, in Porto Santo, focusing on Gender and Poverty issues.
In the capacity building component of AIDGLOBAL, we will develop an organizational diagnosis and an action plan.
Project funded by Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway through EEA Grants.
Throughout the years AIDGLOBAL has established partnerships with several organizations who connect with our mission. AIDGLOBAL thanks all public and private entities for the support shown in our work, in the certainty that we will continue our path towards creating change for a more just and equitable world through education.