The 2nd Edition of the “Jovens na Política” (Youth in Politics”) project aims to contribute to human rights and sustainable development based on the political participation of young Portuguese people.
This initiative is structured around several axes, including:
1) Involve young people in the issues of development and Global Citizenship, carrying out initiatives that consider the lifestyles and interests of young people;
2) Reflect together with young people and youth technicians on the impact of policies on human dignity and respect for the environment;
3) Integrate the global dimension of citizenship in actions and debates already present in Party Youths (JP).
Location of the action
Santarém and National
Youth and Youth Associations
Area of Action
Education for Development
Cooperation, HR and Sustainability
The project lasts for 24 months, taking place from September 1st, 2020 until August 31st, 2022.
Sensitize, train and mobilize young people and youth organizations, including associations and municipalities to the priorities of Portuguese Cooperation and the 2030 Agenda at local and national levels with a view to promoting Global Citizenship.
Themes related to development and Global Citizenship have been introduced on the world agenda, defining goals to be achieved by all countries, governments and the citizens themselves. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are an example of this and challenge citizens and countries to reach 17 goals related to different areas (environment, gender equality, fairer and more inclusive cities, among others) by 2030. Thus, the urgency of moving from theory to action is underlined and education for development (DE) is a key tool to mobilize citizens and governments for social transformation, since DE promotes reflections around the themes associated with the SDGs.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- 5 workshops on the SDGs and Portuguese Cooperation, 1 per region of the country, involving Party Youths and young people interested in politics;
- Preparatory trip for DE activities to Mozambique with 5 leaders of different political directions;
- 5 training and awareness-raising initiatives in Development education, promoted by Party Youths;
- School of politics for Global Citizenship;
- Dialogue Dinner 2.0 “O Papel dos Jovens Políticos no Alcance da Agenda 2030” (The Role of Young Politicians in Reaching the 2030 Agenda);
- Residential training for youth technicians on political participation around the priorities of Portuguese Cooperation and the 2030 Agenda;
- “Bora Lá, Sai do Sofa” (Let`s Go, Get off the Sofa) campaign through social media with the objective of sensitizing young people to political participation at the national level and encouraging voting for presidential and municipal governments around issues of Global Citizenship;
- Cycle of training workshops for young people in Santarém on political participation and implementation of actions at a glocal level;
- Proposals with young people from Santarém for the improvement/alteration of a policy or local strategies related to the SDGs, promoting digital political participation in the context of education for development;
- Study “Diferentes formas de participação política em prol do desenvolvimento” (Different forms of political participation in favor of development).
Throughout the years AIDGLOBAL has established partnerships with several organizations who connect with our mission. AIDGLOBAL thanks all public and private entities for the support shown in our work, in the certainty that we will continue our path towards creating change for a more just and equitable world through education.