“Porto Santo Sem Lixo Marinho” (Porto Santo Without Marine Waste) intends to establish the base for a memorandum of understanding between several public and private actors that can allow the plastics to stop leaking into the ocean.
Location of the action
Local People and Tourists
Area of Action
The duration of this project is 18 months, running from September 1st, 2020 until May 21st, 2022.
- Identify the flow and discharge of plastic waste and optimize its management;
- Radically reduce the volume of used disposable plastics through a communication campaign aimed at all interested parties.
AIDGLOBAL has been developing permanent work in the Autonomous Region of Madeira in Porto Santo delegation since 2018.
The island is located in the Atlantic Ocean, being 11 km long and 6 km wide, and its main beach is 9 km long.
The diversity and beauty of its landscapes justified the candidacy of the Regional Government of Madeira in September 2019 for the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. It was approved in April 2020 with the objective of developing a differentiated and pioneering territory in the scope of sustainability.
With a resident population of just over 5000 inhabitants, it is an island with a very high tourist occupation. This is mainly in the summer months with more than 500,000 overnight stays, 50% of which occur during the high summer period.
Annually, about 8 million tons of plastic waste are discharged into the oceans (BBC News, 2015) and 80% of marine pollution originates from land. This has serious consequences for biodiversity and the entire environment.
This project aims to contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals: “Climate Action”, “Life Below Water”, “Responsible Production and Consumption” and “Sustainable Cities and Communities”.
WHAT DO WE DO?
- Identify and monitor the flow and discharge of waste;
- Develop a web application to identify critical plastic pollution sites;
- Create a system of voluntary return of plastic bottles with rewards for users;
- Develop the 2020/2025 Community Management Plan for prevention and awareness raising for the reduction of marine waste;
- Create a Quality Seal for the entities that sign the commitment letter of involvement in the community management plan;
- Reinforce and expand the ‘Friends of the Sea’ initiative to collect marine waste;
- Meet with local fishermen, tour operators and entrepreneurs with businesses on the coast to collect and identify plastic waste in the sea and dunes;
- Publicize the campaign “End plastic in the sea of Porto Santo” aimed at residents and tourists.
Project funded by Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway through EEA Grants.
Throughout the years AIDGLOBAL has established partnerships with several organizations who connect with our mission. AIDGLOBAL thanks all public and private entities for the support shown in our work, in the certainty that we will continue our path towards creating change for a more just and equitable world through education.