“Da Escola para o Mundo – Agir, Atua, Transformar” (From School to the World – Act, Include, Transform) is a Citizenship Education Action Plan developed by AIDGLOBAL in partnership with Professor Francisco Freitas Branco Basic and Secondary School, Porto Santo for a fairer and more sustainable future.
This Action Plan is primarily aimed at students from four classes of the 8th year (2019/2020) and is meant to accompany these young people over two school years. Although the focus is on the 3rd cycle, the plan extends to the entire school and the local community.
It is part of the National Strategy of Education for Citizenship and has the support of many entities, among them Fundação Gonçalo da Silveira and the Catholic University of Porto within the scope of the “Cidadãos Ativ@s” program.
Location of the action
Porto Santo, Madeira
Area of action
The project lasts for 24 months, running from September 1st, 2019 until August 31st, 2021.
Promote citizenship skills among students of the 3rd cycle of Porto Santo.
Reflect and act in favor of human rights and sustainable development, involving the actors of the Porto Santo educational and local community.
This Action Plan is a response to the School’s Educational Project contributing to some goals, including::
- Increase practical/experimental activities aiming at creative and active learning;
- Increase the number of contacts established with parents/guardians who demonstrate their participation in the school life of their students and in the activities promoted by the school;
- Foster the assumption of shared responsibilities in order to promote an environment conducive to the full participation of the entire community in the educational process;
- Maintain or increase the number of activities/projects with local/regional/national institutions and increase the number of partnerships;
- Adapt innovative projects and strategies to promote students’ educational success.
WHAT DO WE DO?
– Volunteer actions promoted by students and members of the community;
– Participatory assemblies of students;
– Training of young leaders to form lists for the student association;
– Forums of parents and guardians;
– Classes with “Philosophy for Children and Youth” methodology on the causes of social and environmental problems and Global Citizenship;
– Recreation with the presence of teacher-animators and the use of cooperative games;
– Educational garden and farm;
– Teacher training in citizenship and development;
– Training of non-teaching staff in “Quality Education – Sustainable Development Goals”.
Videos and Webinars within the School for the World Action Plan
Video: Escola de Verão “Jovens, Associativismo e Direitos Humanos” (Summer School “Youth, Associativism e Human Rights”).
Video: “Vamos celebrar a humanidade mostrando os diferentes povos do mundo” (Let`s celebrate humanity by showing the different peoples of the world).
Video: Entrevistas sobre Interculturalidade (Interviews on interculturality).
Spot: Divulgação da campanha de recolha de alimentos realizada pelos alunos do 9º A e D da Escola B+S do Porto Santo. (Dissemination of the food collection campaign held by the 9th A and D students of Porto Santo’s B+S School).
Video: “Reflections of the students of the 8th grade of the Escola B+S Professor Doutor Francisco de Freitas Branco, Porto Santo, on poverty and social inequalities and the impact of COVID-19 in their community“.
Video: “Volunteering on Porto Santo island“. Work carried out by Carla Beatriz Freitas, 8th grade student at Escola B+S Professor Doutor Francisco de Freitas Branco, Porto Santo.
Video: “What is Volunteering“. Work carried out by students Beatriz Melim, Samuel Pereira, Sara Telo, Wilson Fernandes and Luana Mendonça from the 8th grade of the B+S School Professor Francisco de Freitas Branco, Porto Santo.
Video: “A portrait of Marine Waste“. Work carried out by Marta Beatriz Rebelo Drumond, 8th grade student at Escola B+S Professor Doutor Francisco de Freitas Branco, Porto Santo.
Throughout the years AIDGLOBAL has established partnerships with several organizations who connect with our mission. AIDGLOBAL thanks all public and private entities for the support shown in our work, in the certainty that we will continue our path towards creating change for a more just and equitable world through education.